Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Darshana: Vedic Chanting for Daily Practice



Review by BEautiful Curls on Amazon.com
Bri Maya uses proper syncopation of Sanskrit words, which are powerful. These words reach our Universal selves bringing peace and conscious advancement. I am a Catholic by background, and at first had difficulty practicing the Sanskrit chants because of the narrow teachings of my religion. However, another part of my kept pushing to discover this. The urging sounded so loud that I could not ignore it, and had to take the venture. Having read Bri Maya's health restoring book "The Path of Practice" and also Dr. Pratima Raichur's book "Absolute Beauty" I learned the value of sound on our spiritual, emotional, and physical health. I tried western music and other approaches first, yet again my inner urgings said to give Sanskrit mantras a try. Darshana sat in my "wish list" for over a year until I took the plunge. I am so glad that I did!!! I select one of her 22 mantras and play it repeatedly (and even read with Bri Maya) for at least 15 min. to get the words into my conscience. With them I feel the needed gentle strength to make good life choices and to be a instrumental player in this world. I also find that they are helping me be a better Catholic -- by being more bold in my loving. For those who are doubting the dabble in another religion, please know that Sanskrit words are Universal. They help us connect to our core -- where we are each connected and transcend religion. They are truly transformative, and soul empowering. This is my path and experience. I hope my share is helpful to you. On a closing note, I read a couple reviews that commented that the CD is too western. I am unclear as to what they are referencing exactly. There are a few mantras that feature running water or a drum beat. I find these sounds to be awesome and further aligns my conscience. In my estimation (and in comparison with other chants on youtube), Bri Maya's approach is very rich, traditional, and transformative. Namaste...

Track Listings
1. Om Srigurubhyo namah
2. Prayer of gratitude to Brahman
3. Peace Invocation
4. Prayer for Self-Cognition
5. Prayer for Victory over Death
6. Prayer to Lord Ganesh
7. Prayer before Studies
8. Prayer to Remembrance of our Divinity
9. Prayer in Praise of Goddess Lakshmi
10. Prayer in Praise of Lord Vishnu
11. Prayer for Light and Prosperity
12. Prayer in praise of the Sun
13. Prayer for Peace and Inner Harmony
14. Prayer for Self-Clarity and Self-Knowledge
15. Mantra for Cleaning the Mind
16. Prayer to the Divine Mother
17. Prayer to the Lord Shiva in the form of Rudra
18. Invocation to Lord Ganesha
19. Praise of the Guru
20. Prayer to Bless the Hands
21. Prayer before sleeping
22. Sonnet in Praise of Lord Shiva

No comments:

Post a Comment