Sunday, July 3, 2011

Chant and be Happy! - George Harrison



Editorial Reivew
Originally released on Apple Records in 1991, this 2002 Canadian reissue adds an excerpt of a conversation between John Lennon, Yoko Ono, George Harrison & Swami Prabhupada. Two of the songs on this album were huge hits on the British charts, & all over the world as well. Featuring George Harrison harmonium, guitar & bass guitar, Tamal Krishna Goswami-flute, Harivilas Oud, Yamuna, Jivananda, Lilavati, Yogesvara-lead vocals, assembled devotees-vocals, mridanga, & kartals. XII-21 Records.

Review by Stephen R. Perry on Amazon.com
It was during the summer break from college, over thirty years ago, when I first heard Prayers to the Spiritual Master. I discovered it on the B side of the Hare Krishna Mantra single and I am pleased to see it included in this album re-release. Listening to it then produced the most profound effect. It brought tears to my eyes and seemed to fill me up from the depths of my being. I was literally struck with wonder and felt as though I was being given a glimpse of something infinitely precious, some core thing I had lost and long forgotten about, yet which just lay waiting to be discovered when I opened the door within. And this sacred sound vibration was the key. No, I wasn't on anything. All I can say is "Hear it for yourself." Because this is just one of the remarkable tracks on this truly beautiful album that celebrates the devotional tradition. To this day, it stands out as a beacon to those who would record or listen to consciousness changing music.
Thanks George, to you and your devotee friends at the temple, for such an offering of love. Yeah man, you can really HEAR the love shining through...



No comments:

Post a Comment